My favorite word game these days is Wordle! I love how it’s:
- Simple yet strategic – just one 5 letter word per day to guess
- Social yet solitary – you can discuss daily results without coordination
- Accessible and free – just a web browser required
- Quick to play but addictive over the long run
Wordle has seen incredible popularity growing to millions of daily players worldwide:
- It went viral in late 2021 spreading mainly through social media
- The New York Times acquired Wordle for over $1 million in early 2022
- Has inspired many variants and spinoffs playing on its basic format
- Remains one of the top apps in Google Play store & App Store
- Players still look forward to their daily challenge more than a year after going viral
While fads come and go, Wordle brilliantly captures the replayable, competitive magic that makes word games endure. Its elegant constraints distill the joy of deduction down to its purest form.
So in my view, Wordle now reigns supreme as both my personal favorite word game, and the new king of accessible yet engaging lexicon-based puzzles. Its simplicity coupled with a engagingly tactical learning curve have sustained its mass popularity unlike any word game in recent memory. Long may its daily teases continue!